Thursday, August 16, 2007

335 - 334 - 333 - heat rain BOOM!


Tuesday:
Tuesday I ended up staying home and working. Wasn't feeling perfect, and really, for some reason the idea of going into the Tower was just too much for me. I barely had anything to do since I'm waiting on a gazillion other people who seem to have no intention of getting me stuff, so screw it. I didn't want to go. I stayed home and worked and was Oh so much happier for it.

Had another Nerf gun fight :) Played with the kitties. Poked at the family. Went to bed early.

Wednesday:

This was an OK day. Work dragged (shock) I whined at Kelly for quite awhile. I have no one to speak to during the day so I figured, meh.. may as well talk at Kelly for awhile. I went down into the tunnels to go to the bank (because it was 75bazillion degrees out) and got lost. heh. I didn't really mean to get lost, I meant to go straight to the bank and back. But I went straight instead of taking the last turn by mistake, ended up waay far away from where I wanted to go. So I had to go topside to find the building. I believe I melted a tad since I live about 22 inches away from the face of the sun. I did find the bank, and walked back via tunnels fine. I realized when I left the bank that had I made the right turn, I would have been there about 15 minutes before I made it there taking the wrong turn. heh. But still. Made it.

Came home early to take Chels to a job interview at Buffalo Exchange. She did great! She got a second interview on Thursday :) Sooo cool. She kicks ass, yeah she does.

We had sort of a fend for yourself night. I didn't feel like making a dinner, so we all picked what we wanted and ate that.

No Nerf gun fight tonight. Just hung out and watched CSI (per usual).
Thursday:

Woke up at like 5 when the loudest clap of thunder ever burst into the house. I woke up and watched the news and they said "Tropical Storm Evan" was going to hit the coast of TX. They were showing a lot of Galveston. Galveston is pretty close, so I knew we'd get some. I got ready and went to work.

Being 44 floors up in a tropical storm is sort of like having seats in the dugout for a baseball game. Sure, you get to see everything, but there are bats and balls and sweaty players flying all over and you're not quite sure you're safe.

At first it was simply dark and driving rain. Then the thunder came. It was HUGE. I ended up calling the mothership and putting them on speaker phone so they could hear how loud it was. One of the peeps thought I was making the noise myself. SO loud! I hung up for awhile and we were IM'ing, looking at photos on the weather channel website of the storm. I said "Look... see the biggest baddest part? Thats me!" It was right on top of me.

I thought that was the loudest it could get, but it got far louder. I was sitting there looking out my huge bank of windows and saw black coming. It was kind of surreal. I instantly thought of the book "The Fog". Something dark and evil being in the fog and coming to swallow me up. It got closer and closer... finally everything was black outside those windows. But there was lightening in that black. It would flash and light up the cloud, although that cloud was so dense that it really never penetrated the entire thing. that's when it was the loudest. The shades in the windows would rattle and car alarms were going off all around in the various parking garages that surround the tower like a moat. So many sirens going off all over too. Loud loud loud.

The clouds lifted a bit and I saw a bolt of lightening hit the building next to me. (where the crazy windshield washers usually are) I believe it only hit a lightening rod, though. I watched and there wasn't any smoke or anything.

I called back to the mothership again... wanted to tell them and to let them hear the thunder which was still so loud. We were looking at some of the various reports online and saw that there were flash flood warnings. The more I saw the more I decided that heading home was a good idea. All the streets they were saying were nearby. 8 blocks... 5 blocks... too close. The warnings were saying "stay away from downtown"... well pfft. I'm already near it, may as well go home.

I went down the elevator and one of the guys on it said that he was headed home. I said I was "Crying Yankee" and getting out. I said "it's flooding out there" he said "yeah, good to leave now before the power goes out." I said "Ugh.. being here in the dark wouldn't be much fun" he said "Walking down 44 flights in the dark with 1000 other people wouldnt be much fun either" ew.. hadn't thought of that.

I got to the car... I had parked in the expensive lot so I could use the tunnel rather than hoofing it in the rain. When I was leaving there was a woman at the booth (cute little old black woman) I said "How're you today?" she said "Oh I'm blessed, child, blessed". I said "Well me too". She said "This is true, this is true, aint we all?" She handed me my change and said "Now you turn left to go home, you hear? It's bad out. Flooding every where. You be careful going home". I asked her to do the same. Sweet little lady.

The streets weren't that frightening. Not as scary as it was way up high. There were a few flooded streets and such, but the ride home was easy. I got home and worked for awhile, listening to the rain on my skylight and the thunder. I watched a bit of news... tons of flooding. Cars under water and all.

Now here's my "wtf are these idiots thinking?" rant. Doods... when faced with 2 - 3 feet of water in the road: stop your freakin' car. Now... when faced with 2 - 3 feet of water in the road AND you see huge assed SUV's and trucks stalled out in there? DO NOT drive your old as crap Cavalier into the same water. Do you honestly think your little crap box is going to make it when the big new SUV didn't? Moron.

OK. Anyway. Chelsea's interview went well. We should hear something next week.

We went to the grocery store and I decided to park underneath so we wouldn't get rained on. Duh. kinda flooded down there. heh.

I had a chance to talk to my brother tonight. That was nice. He's a smart guy. Made me feel a bit better about work.

I made dinner and now Chels and Ray and I are watching "The Fountain". So far I don't suggest you seeing it. It's kind of a drug trip mixed with alot of sad shit. Pretty movie, really. Kind of interesting. Not sure if I hate it or like it. meh.

btw... We have a Hurricane scheduled for next Tuesday. Weeee!!

No comments: