Saturday, August 18, 2007

332 - 331 - work, fun and fire ants


Friday:

Friday was rather uneventful. I got a lot of work done, met a nice girl on break. I talked to her about the storms the day before. I told her I had been totally freaked out, she said Ohh... just wait til we have a real hurricane! (seems like I don't have long to wait)

There were storms today too. Not like the Tropical storm from yesterday, but some interesting ones. The storm blew in and then blew out... then another one. Watching them come and go from so far up high was really neat.






I went into the tunnels to go to the bank. No problem with that at all. Made it there and back and didn't take one wrong turn. It's nice to go down there to get places in the city. I like walking topside - the city is so clean and pretty... but there are the homeless, and as I've said before, they irk me. Down in the tunnels there are no homeless. Apparently they're not allowed in. I've been down there quite a few times and never seen any.

The rest of the evening was uneventful. Didn't go out, just lazed around.

Saturday:

Oooh we had fun :)

We left the house a bit early (not early for me, early for the two sleeper-inners), stopped and got water, and went off to the Museum of Natural Science. Today was Museum Free Day. A bunch of the museums participate in it. You go, it's free, and the Metro system has free shuttles between them. Way cool! Of course, about 50 billion other peeps think so too. So we went to the Nat. Hist. Museum, which was fun. We saw the dinosaurs and the gem exhibit... it was neat. Even more neat was that that museum is on the edge of Hermann park. SO pretty. Texas knows how to do parks, just let me say that. Fountains, all sorts of neat stuff, a cute little train that take s people around, and a Japanese tea garden. We walked over after seeing the museum (Slowly since as I've said before, Houston is about 22 inches away from the sun - 98 deg, 89% humidity. ugh) We walked around in the tea garden and really had a nice time. Pictures below:


We were all tired and super hot, and pretty hungry after that, so we went to the West Gray Cafe and had a late breakfast. After that we went off to hunt down some plants and supplies for a watergarden I'm planning. Then home for awhile to cool off and relax. Chels still wanted to check Home Depot for some plants for her little container garden she's planning... and I had seen some place called "Cactus King" that I had said I wanted to go see ... it looked kitchy and obnoxious, and plus, I like cacti... so off we went.

Cactus King really was cool - we were the only ones there except one kinda sketchy scary guy who I think owned the place. We wandered around and I was liking it until we hit the last green house. Some of you will totally understand this... If The House of 1000 Corpses had a green house... this is what it would look like. I walked in and instantly thought, "Yup... we're about to get fucking axed and ground into plant food". I said to Chels... "Umm.. do you feel like you just walked into a Rob Zombie movie?" She said "Heh. Yeah. I like it, but it's creepy".

There were neat art projects everywhere around the entire place, but in here there were ones with mannequin pieces/body parts all over in this green house. It was pretty delapatated, falling apart, pieces of wire and rope holding it together, twisty and turny a bit, leaking... so dripping here and there. A video camera duct taped in the corner. It was freakin creepy as hell.

I didn't get axed. I did get attacked by red freakin' ants. Have you been bitten? Friggin' hurts!! It felt like my foot suddenly caught fire. I looked down and had 5 or 6 on me, between my toes and on top of my toes. Course, I freaked, knocked them all off and was like "we're out of here"... then unfortunately stuck my damn foot back into my flip flop to take off, and guess what.. still a couple there. arrrg!!! So that hurt like hell.

We left there and went to Home Depot. I got a couple of adorable plants. Yay :) Then we went to Walmart because apparently Texas doesn't sell herb plants or seeds.. wtf? Anyway, Walmart (or at least this one) was about the skankiest place I've been to. I mean, skankier than normal (All Walmarts are skanky and filled to the rim with the worlds shuffling, moaning, unwashed masses) I was actually fairly certain that I was going to die. Me, Chels and maybe three other people were english speaking. The rest werent', and they weren't looking too friendly. Anyway... went out to the nursery there to look at their plants. Looked down and realized that there were a gazillion of them damn ants in there. So I took off quick, expecially since my foot was still throbbing horribly.

We stopped at Randall's on the way home, grabbed a movie and some dinner, and came home. I took a VERY long shower. Bugs freak me out.

How we're happy and hanging out :)

1 comment:

Jackie Donaldson said...

Thenks for posting all that you're doing and seeing in Houston! One of my friends has to be there for a month, and your site is chock full of fun ideas...I love the ones off the beaten track!