Tuesday, July 24, 2007

356 - They're here...

Today was pretty good all around actually. It started off a wee bit boring, and I assume once the team leaves it may be back to being that way, but having Ben and Sharon come to Houston was great. Communication from the home planet has been a bit sparse, so I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy my boss and my team mates. Since I hadn't heard much from back home not only was I feeling useless in my current position, but I simply assumed I was outta site, outta mind. I also suspected that the boss guy was irritated with me about something or other.

I watched the psycho window cleaners for a bit again this morning. Someone really should have them checked out by a trained psychologist. I again forgot my camera, which irritates me silly since I really did want to post a picture of them. I'll try and remember to bring it with me again so I can catch some of that action on film...um...digital whatever.

Once everyone was in the office I felt far more in my element. Rather than sort of skulking around and taking periodic cig breaks (alone of course) I had new direction and people to bounce stuff off of and a way to sort of point out some things that happen at the new office that makes me wonder.

I had been feeling a bit ostracized, and basically 'felt' that I was purposefully being overlooked, even led astray a bit, but without someone else there to validate it I simply internalized it and didn't pay very much attention. (that sentence had too many "..sized" words.)

We hit a few semi-productive meetings... all politically based... and I felt that the boss and Sharon really did get a good feel for life in the big glass tower. Not only that, I kind of felt vindicated when I found that after a few hours there a discussion was held big-wig to big-wig about the lack of communication and cooperation I was receiving. Typically I totally frown on being a tattle tale or having someone step in for me, but at least I felt that someone remembered I existed and didn't like what was going on. One of my main contacts here is just so irritating. Passive aggressive really. No "Hey, I don't like you but I have to work with you but I'm not going to be nice about it", it's all "Sure I'll help, Sure I'll make things easy, but as soon as you walk out of here I'm rolling my eyes and forgetting you even exist". I so hate that. I know I'll wheedle my way in there and end up in a good place (No, wheedling is not on my resume, it comes from life experience, and I'm darn good at it. A "social chameleon" one friend called me once. I figure it's apt and not necessarily a bad thing.)

After the meetings and the validation and the officey stuff was done I dragged them back to my place to show it off a little bit. The boss pays for it, I wanted to see how great it is in person. I felt he was suitably impressed and from there we hit Cyclone Anaya's, a trendy hip spot in midtown that is all the rage right now. We initially wanted a seat inside with all the beautiful people, but the place was incredibly obnoxiously loud. We moved out to their outside seating pretty quickly. Ben and Sharon are horribly fun people, and typically I can be funny, but not fun. I get a wee to freaky in major social situations, so I tend to clam up quick. But I had a raspberry margarita (a small one as opposed to the troughs that the rest of the crew ordered) and a great meal. Sitting outside was great. It was a bit thick and muggy, but I've found Houston to have a great breeze pretty much all the time. We hung out and chatted, fended off a few bums that came by (which is a daily occurrence and something I don't even mention here much) and had a really nice time.

I dropped them off at their hotel around 9:30 and came home to bed. Unfortunately having a drink will often give me a headache. That coupled with the oncoming storm sort of laid me flat. So there was much Advil, tossing and turning, and wishing I had a good dose of Oxy or something that may knock my ass out.

Tomorrow I'll grab the gang at their hotel to drive them to the Tower at 8:15am. They didn't get the super close hotel and even though not far, walking with laptop and all in tow is not fun. Plus, trying to keep up with Ben when he's walking too or from work/a meeting... pretty much anything is a challenge in itself.

Things seem good today. Busy, but I so prefer it that way. Still can't seem to get my ADD meds refilled. Some odd Texas thing apparently. I'll work on that more this week.

P.S. - Random weird Texas thing I have noticed:
Houston apparently has no mosquito problem. None. I sit out on my balcony at night, sometimes with the super high powered high beam spot light on, and never have to flee from the buggies. We occasionally get one in the house, and what's weird is they don't go for us. They simply sorta fly around. Either they re not hungry, or Texas mosquitoes are tards. Haven't figured that out yet. Anyway. It's a good observation I'm making today.

PPS. This is a retro active post, since my migraine interrupted regularly scheduled blogging, so no weather for the day.

No comments: